Reinharts younger brother Sam. There are three cuts still to be made -

in Aktuelles 07.10.2019 07:51
von sakura698 • 300 Beiträge

DETROIT -- Dave Dombrowskis latest trade also felt like one of his most predictable. Bobby Tolan Jersey . There was simply no way the Detroit general manager was going to sit idly by without addressing his teams bullpen. "Weve been working on trying to find someone in the bullpen for an extended period," Dombrowski said. "Its something weve been focused on for a while. For the month of July, at least." The Tigers added one of the games better relievers in a trade earlier this week, acquiring Joakim Soria from Texas, but that may only be the beginning of a significant overhaul in the way Detroit approaches the late innings. Manager Brad Ausmus stuck with his usual routine in Thursday nights win over the Los Angeles Angels, using Joba Chamberlain in the eighth and Joe Nathan in the ninth. But with Soria in the fold, Ausmus now has more options. Detroits bullpen woes are nothing new. The Tigers finally gave up on Jose Valverde as their closer last year, letting Joaquin Benoit handle that role instead. Benoit pitched well, but the grand slam he allowed to Bostons David Ortiz was perhaps the defining moment of baseballs entire post-season in 2013. Benoit left via free agency, and Detroit signed Nathan, who was coming off a sparkling season with the Rangers. The 39-year-old right-hander has slipped badly this year. Even after striking out the side to close out a 6-4 win Thursday, his ERA was an unsightly 5.73. Nathan has shown mild signs of improvement, posting a 3.68 ERA in his last 15 appearances, striking out 21 in 14 2-3 innings in that span. But statistically, Soria has been better this year than any of Detroits current relievers -- and the Tigers gave up a couple promising young arms to get him. Ausmus says hes keeping Nathan and Chamberlain in their usual roles for now -- but Sorias presence means the Detroit manager doesnt have to be overly patient with anyone. Soria struck out 42 with only four walks this season with Texas. As desperate as theyve seemed for bullpen help, the Tigers didnt have to do anything totally irrational to acquire it. Thursdays victory gave Detroit a seven-game lead in the AL Central. The Tigers have had an unusual season. Theyve had winning streaks of eight, seven, six and five, but they also went through a 9-20 stretch that briefly knocked them out of first place. "Even if you win 95 games -- which is real good -- youre losing 67. And there are streaks attached to that," Dombrowski said. "Were a little streakier than I thought we would be as far as losses are concerned. You dont really expect us with our starting pitching staff ... usually when you have strong starting pitching, and some good offence, which we have, that puts sort of a stop to those streaks." The starting rotation has been a strength of this team for the last couple years. Now, the goal is to assemble a bullpen that will enable the Tigers to succeed in tight games when runs are scarce. Chamberlain has been solid in his first season with the Tigers, and the addition of Soria should certainly help. But even if Nathan pitches better, Detroit could probably still use more depth. Left-handed relievers Ian Krol and Phil Coke have generally been erratic. If the Tigers reach the post-season, they could move lefty Drew Smyly from the rotation to the bullpen, where he excelled last year. But there could still be more moves on the way between now and then. "Were still open-minded to getting better," Dombrowski told reporters on a conference call after trading for Soria. "Our bullpen has been a situation that has been our major focus and I guess would continue to be our major focus if we are going to do something." Austin Gomber Cardinals Jersey . Orlando is to begin play in the MLS for the 2015 season. Kaka, who currently plays with AC Milan, is expected to be loaned out to his home club Sao Paulo for the upcoming season before joining Orlando for next season. Junior Fernandez Cardinals Jersey . Goldeyes third baseman Ryan Pineda drove in three runs and the pitching staff didnt allow an earned run, as Winnipeg downed Kansas City 6-3 in American Association exhibition action at CommunityAmerica Ballpark in Kansas. https://www.cheapcardinalsonline.com/ . 5 Trade Deadline is drawing closer and teams will be deciding on whether to buy or sell while figuring out which players can make the biggest difference and hold the greatest value.TORONTO -- Players arrived a few at a time from across Canada on Thursday to begin preparations for a three-day camp at the Mastercard Centre before heading for Sweden for more practice and three pre-tournament games. What wasnt known is whether Halifax Mooseheads forward Jonathan Drouin, projected to be a top points producer, will be able to skate. He suffered a concussion last week after being hit from behind in a game against the Quebec Remparts. He was to be evaluated by team doctors Thursday night to see if he is ready to resume skating. Drouin said he feels better, but its up to the doctors to say if he can skate. "I want to get on the ice with the guys as soon as possible, but its my health and Im not going to push it," said Drouin, the third-overall pick in the NHL draft in June by the Tampa Bay Lightning. "But its not me deciding those things. Its more medical testing to make sure Im fine in my head." Coach Brent Sutter doubts that Drouin will skate this week, but it wont disrupt the teams preparations either way. "Well monitor him," said Sutter. "Theres no rush or panic. We have a few days before we need to be concerned about it." Drouin played well at last years world juniors, when Canada was shut out of the medals after losing to the United States in the semifinals. And he was a force as Halifax won the Memorial Cup. He was disappointed that the Lightning didnt keep him in the NHL after training camp, but since then he has been tearing up the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League with 17 goals and 50 points in only 23 games. Ryan Jankowski, the junior teams top scout, said the experience Drouin acquired last season has made him a better player. "Hes been through a lot," said Jankowski. "Winning a Memorial Cup and being part of the world juniors was huge for him, but now hes taking his game to the next level. "His game has changed. Hes more complete,, but he has also raised his offensive game to dominate more than he did last year, if thats possible. Fake Cardinals Jerseys. " Another returning player is Edmonton Oil Kings defenceman Griffin Reinhart, who was slapped with a four-game suspension for slashing an American player in last years world juniors. He sat out one game in that tournament, but is to miss the first three games this time. Sutter shot down any notion that the suspension would play any part in the decision on whether to keep the big and gifted rearguard. "Were not going to be worried about the suspension he has," said Sutter. "If we have to carry six defencemen to start the tournament, well do so. "You look at the youth on our team, it outweighs the three games he still has to serve." He said the experience and leadership of players like Reinhart is even more important on a team that has three "underage" players in camp -- 16-year-old phenom Connor McDavid, as well as possibly the two top picks in the 2014 NHL draft in defenceman Aaron Ekblad and Reinharts younger brother Sam. There are three cuts still to be made -- five if Monahan and Rielly join the squad -- and it is uncertain if the three youngsters will make it. Sutter is high on all three, but there is only room for two goalies, seven defencemen and 13 forwards. McDavid said hes ready to accept any role, if it means making the team. "Theres a little pressure I guess, being that I am 16, but I dont think they would have brought me here if they thought that was going to be a big deal," he said. "So I just try to put it out of my head and focus on the task at hand." Sutter set no timetable for the cuts, which could come at the end of the camp but may come after the first exhibition game in Sweden. They hope to have their 22-man squad set at least for the last two pre-tournament games. The deadline to declare rosters is Dec. 25. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: republictailed
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 2679 Themen und 2854 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen